Our church was started by settlers in the Rocky Fork Township. As soon
as the settlers arrived they started meeting in homes and clearings. In 1822, a log cabin church was built on land donated
by Nathan and Priscilla Roberts. The church was named Liberty Christian Church. (model of that church pictured
Liberty Church was not only the first church in Rocky Fork Township but also the first church in Boone County.
All denominations met at this church and the doors were never locked. There have been congregations meeting on this
site since 1822.
The name Red Top came from the gabled ends of the church that were painted with paint made from
red keel that came from a local creek. Many of the lay ministers and itinerant preachers who visited referred to the
church as the "red top" church. The name of the church was officially changed from Liberty to Red Top in 1868.
The original church burned down in 1835 and another was rebuilt at the same location. A third church was built in 1867
very close to the location of the first church. That sanctuary is still being used today.
We have a rich, long
lasting heritage to share with all who worship with us.